Friday, May 21, 2010

Who's on First?

This picture has nothing at all to do with this post. I just loved her very yellow hair.

Every artist on the line as well as all Market Security staff, busker and I'm sure anyone that looks like a Seattleite gets THE market question. Sometimes in a hushed reverent tone. "Where is the first Starbucks?"  The question is asked many times each and every day.  A visitor suggested once that I should put up a sign  directing people to the most holy coffee site.  "No", I said.  "I prefer it this way."

The way that it played out a few days ago was quite unique for me and went something like this:

"Where's the first Starbucks?" - Right over there. (pointing across the street).

"I'm meeting someone at the one on 1st Avenue" - Then go to the end of the market and you'll see it on the corner of 1st and Pike.

"Pike. Pike Place?" - No Pike Street.

"But is that the first one?" - No. The first one is across the street.

"Now I'm not sure if they wanted me to meet them at the first one or the one on 1st". - uh huh.

"You know, I'm really just looking for a good cup of coffee.  Where's that first one again?" - Well.  The first Starbucks is across the street and the good cup of coffee is at Local Color over on that corner.


 

1 comment:

  1. I noticed that the new Starbucks at 1st & Pike (Street) is using ye olde logo, which most likely adds to the confusion.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for letting me talk to you. Now it's your turn to talk to me.