Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Has Anybody Seen My Old Friend Abraham

 My office. The view from under my sunflower umbrella.

I think that most of us have a soundtrack that plays in the back of our minds as we go through our day.  While at the market I find that quite often the soundtrack is the noise and chaos of the market itself.   Setting up on the sidewalk puts me in close contact with the street.  Cars, trucks, ambulances, fire trucks, dogs whining and barking, babies crying,  homeless men hawking newspapers shouting out "Real Change to help the homeless".  You hear the firetrucks from at least 5 blocks away, the siren getting louder and louder then they start blowing the horn.  It makes your head hurt.  I've gotten so that I don't even lift my eyes to watch it as it careens through the intersection.  Never slowing, it races through with people jumping out of the way grabbing children, pets and parcels as they go flying in it's wake.

Or we have the dreaded SongWorm.  You know the one.  "Oh I wish I was an Oscar Mayer Wiener".  The Urban Dictionary cites Beyonce's "to the left, to the left, everything you own in a box to the left".  You get my drift.

So, while setting up my booth the other day and the song "Abraham, Martin and John" popped into my head I was pleasantly surprised.  Now it was just a matter of trying to remember all of the words.  Interruptions to my thoughts, well, they are ongoing.  I'm at the market to sell my art and make money.  But sometimes I just can't wait to get back to what I was thinking.  Like dreams that we're woken from and we can't wait to get back to hoping to pick up where we left off.

Has anybody here seen my old friend Abraham?  Can you tell me where he's gone?

"Where's Ivan's?" - you must mean Ivar's. "No. Ivan's.  It used to be up here next to Peet's Coffee". - sure.  Well, Ivar's is on the waterfront.  Peet's Coffee or Ivan's?  I dunno.

He freed a lot of people but it seems the good they die young.  You know, I just looked around and he's gone.

"Where are all of your Christian pieces?" - well, over here we have a Byzantine Orthodox design of the cross.  "I'm a Catholic. I know all there is about the cross." - alright then. We're selling this one for $25.  "Listen honey. I've been married for 50 years and I don't have room for anything more". - ok then.

Has anybody here seen my old friend John? Can you tell me where he's gone.  He freed a lot of people but the good they seem to die young.  I just looked around and he's gone.

"Is that your bike?" Referring to the snazzy Harley parked butt up against my booth display. - yup. That's my sweet ride. (not!)

Anybody here seen my old friend Martin? Can you tell me where he's gone.  He freed a lot of people but the good they seem to die young.  I just looked around and he's gone.

Husband "Geez these are beautiful!"  Wife "Where would you put it? If you get something you need to know where you're going to put it".  - come on man. you can do it.  They walk away down the sidewalk.  Girlfriends, wives, husbands, sisters - can all be such downers when it comes to making a sale.

Didn't you love the things they stood for?  Didn't they try to find some good for you and me? And we'll be free..

"I'll take 2 of your Hamsas.  Here's the cash" - I do so love the 'walk up and buyers'.

Someday soon and it's gonna be some day.....



5 comments:

  1. This is an excellent depiction of every day at the market. I don't know the SongWorm you quote, but maybe it's best that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girlfriend of mine used to have it as the answering ring on her phone. Drove me CRAZY. Don't look it up on YouTube. Turn away now while you still have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a wordsmith! This is a very nice writ! Thank you! I now have your ear worm and I like it.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your writing Kat! You are gifted!
    Love,
    Clare :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being able to share my market days here is a real treat for me. Thanks go out to my girlhood friend Marsha for encouraging me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for letting me talk to you. Now it's your turn to talk to me.