Friday, January 23, 2009

Your face is so red. Could it be freezer burn?

This is the question my husband met me with as I returned home from work yesterday. A long but thankfully fairly profitable day at Pike. The high temp was 39 degrees. A marketplace open to the elements where other vendors/crafters/artists and a few hardy visitors spent our day.

The predicted high for this coming Sunday - 35 degrees. BUT ! No rain or snow in the forecast - Saweeet! Over the years I have learned to be prepared for the cold. I'm often asked by visitors to the market how I handle it. The preparation starts thussly : A very hot a.m. shower, liberal application of baby powder so the silk top and bottom long underwear slides on. Then a woven tank top, 2 layers of silky long sleeve tops, a woven turtle neck, long sleeved wool sweater, cashmere scarf, cashmere gauntlets, jeans, wool socks, fur lined boots and a knit wool cap. It takes forever to get dressed and even longer to undress. The trick for me is to keep each layer thin and close to the body. No air can touch me, except for my face. I hate wearing bulky coats. It makes working the booth nearly impossible for me.

Another major key - a floor mat to stand on. The concrete floor of the market is like a block of ice and your body just acts as a wick to pull up that cold into your core. The end of January is near - can June be far behind???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for letting me talk to you. Now it's your turn to talk to me.